Monday, December 3, 2012

Buff milk and Video Games






Friday was the half day at school. We grabbed some samosas to eat for lunch en-route to the internet cafe. Our online time ended abruptly at 3:30 as the rotating load shedding (no more electricity for you!) hit the upper part of Salleri. We returned home, left Raven to her IPOD, then took a walk past the next little town of Dorphu to see a white 'Buddha eye' roadside stupa that I had seen a few days before. All of Nepal has these ancient monuments- most of them with Tibetan stone tablets carved by monks and left to weather the elements. On our way back we met an English speaking Sherpa who has retired from guiding to tend his farm. I had met and chatted with his daughter on a similar walk earlier in the week. He recognized this, and as we were just outside his house, he invited us in for tea. We accepted, knowing that Heath had packed a flashlight and Raven might be a little worried that when we return later than expected and in the dark.



Heath and I met the family- his 10 year old son, wearing red monks robes, had just returned to his family from his monastic schooling on the other side of the ridge, perhaps a four hour walk? The monasteries close down for the winter, as it is too cold for study. His wife was dressed in traditional mountain garb, while his daughter, aged 15, was wearing more western clothes. They had a small kitten, just separated from it's mother, mewling under the bench we sat on. Their house was warm- it seemed far more air tight than the house we stay in. To make us tea, the daughter had to light the fire and someone went out to milk the buffalo. We made small talk in both Nepalese and English. The father invited us to stay for dinner, but we explained about our daughter waiting and being potentially worried, so we made a dinner date for the next Friday.



Saturday was market day, so after buying mandarins and eating our dhal bhat breakfast, Heath, Vincent and I took the walk up the ridge see Everest again. It took about 2 hours as we were able to walk a faster pace (with no complaining) because Raven refused to come along – she had 'better things' to do (read: walk to the internet cafe so she could research for a science project and 'Facebook'.) We wandered a few steps higher this time, to a place where prayer flags were tied to large post-like branches placed securely in the ground. We appreciated the silence found in this high rhododendron forest. No people, no talking. Only the sound of birds singing and prayer flags rippling in the breeze. It was exquisite to be bathed in warmth from the sun. These are the quiet nature moments that I'll treasure as Kathmandu and India will be loud and hugely populated. As we climbed up we noticed clouds following the valley from the west. They accumulated lower down the ridge and obscured our complete view of the Himalayas but we were able to catch glimpses of Everest in the gaps.



The dirt levels have accumulated on our bodies. Washing and personal hygiene has become 'winter camping style' for me. It is too cold to wash my whole body, so I have been reapplying deodorant in the morning and washing my face every third day. There is dirt and dust on my feet that I haven't bothered to wash off for days. Teeth always get brushed but the rest of my body is covered with a thin layer of grime. I hope it is keeping me warmer! My clothes aren’t faring much better. We are all looking forward to a washing machine...or at least hand washing in warm water. Not to mention the dream of a hot shower in Pepsi Cola.



Since we spend much of the evening hours sequestered in our tiny room huddled under blankets, I have become a video game player. Yes, it is true. Raven and Heath poke fun at me about being a Luddite, but I have mastered the art of playing stupid games on the IPOD. I now enjoy entertaining games such as Om Nom and Happy Fall. Raven thinks I suck at them, but they help while the hours away when the electricity is out and I have read enough. They were both so kind as to download Tetris for me, the only game that I 'pwn'.

No comments:

Post a Comment