Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Back in Pepsi Cola

The stars are bright at night, and the planets are lining up. Is anyone else wondering about the 21st of December? We are 14 hours ahead- but we might not be able to let you know of any impending doom!Seriously, this date is a curious one, but I am tending to look at it as a time of change, for the good. A new age hippy version of world peace and love through collective consciousness?

Most nights are clear, even with the smog of Kathmandu. We aren't up early enough in the morning to see many planets, but it is dark by 5:30 so we can see the early night sky. Heath has a handy feature on his phone that connects the constellations in the sky with a GPS. It outlines in red what stars we are looking at in the night sky, and even the ones that are below our horizon. We can see most mornings are some snow capped Himalayas! This city sits in the lush Kathmandu valley, but because of the smog we had no idea during our first month here that one was able to see snowy mountains in the distance. It must be clearer now because it is colder. Our hand washed laundry (hello warm water!) dries on the roof/patio of this 4 story house which is where we get the best view of the airport and environs.

Our first week (plus) back at Kathmandu we've laid pretty low, trying to rest and heal. Our respiratory systems took a beating in Salleri, and the epic long sleepless jeep ride didn't help to improve our immune systems. We are mostly feeling better, but some days are 'touch and go'. We seem to take turns as to who is 'down', which is nice (and helpful for the 'sickie').

On our first Saturday 'off'' we took the bus to 'downtown', an area called Sundhara which is walking distance from Thamel and New Road to watch a movie at the Civil Mall cinema. This was the first mall we have been to in Nepal. I bee-lined it to the first thing that caught my attention in the centre of the shops- a cafe! Heath and I lounged on the pleather couch chairs, drinking cafe o'laits while Rave window shopped. Since we were sitting at the bottom of the seven storey open concept mall (Think: the Bay Centre ) she'd call down from every floor she took the escalator up to. I prefer the busy crazy style of street front shops and road vendors to this hygienic, clean and brightly lit place with pumping pop music, but we were there for a movie, not shopping. We watched Breaking Dawn II. Like European theatres, we got to choose our seating. We bought a large tasty salty and 'buttery' popcorn and 2 cokes. We could have chosen vegie burgers, hotdogs, fries or nachos to eat, but we didn't have quite enough cash on us. We spent the equivalent of 12 dollars for everything and the movie theater was top quality. On our way in the security wanted me to leave my water bottle at the coat check, but I convinced them I needed it for my raging cough. I refuse to buy bottled water when we have a filter that cuts down on plastic bottle waste. I had wanted to excuse myself from watching this particular movie, but in the end was glad I sat though it, as the west coast rainforest it was filmed in reminded me keenly of home.

Beyond a few key people, I miss Canadian freedom, safety, clean air and the proximity of our home to nature. I will never take for granted the ability to run through local parks and forests. I haven't attempted this here yet- due to the air quality, but also not wanting to be seen as a crazy western lady. (More than I already do?) My fitness is slipping, even with the pilates and yoga I attempt every so often. Heath has been teaching a morning yoga class, but it isn't quite the same for a cardio junkie like me:) I did see an advertisement for 6am Zumba in Pepsi Cola, and there is a Bikrams studio in Thamel, but I have yet to check them out. 6Am seems to be a bit of a stumbling block.


Raven and I bought facemasks. Many people wear the cotton mouth and nose protection here. They have no real filter in them and I think they will only filter the larger particulate matter, but it may well be better than nothing, especially with our lungs and respiratory systems feeling compromised from sinus issues to begin with. The sweet smell of burning plastic is prolific. That definitely doesn't get filtered with a hello kitty face mask!  

We are loving our family more than ever here. They have been so kind, giving halls and hot water, fruit, etc. They treat us like a real family.It is Kumari's birthday today. We were told to show up for 5:30 for a 'little party'. Lets see what transpires- I bought a bottle of Australian Shiraz, just to be on the safe side. I haven't had wine since we left, and only enough beers to count on one hand since arriving in Nepal. The Raksi (rice 'wine' or whiskey) is too strong for me. Heath likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment